3 Pet-Friendly Houseplants Perfect for Pet Owners and 3 to Avoid

3 Pet-Friendly Houseplants Perfect for Pet Owners and 3 to Avoid

Are you looking for ways to add plants to your home but not sure which ones are pet-friendly? We’ve got you covered! It’s important always to be aware of plants that can cause harm to your beloved pet to protect them from toxins.
In this blog, we’ll talk about popular plants that are toxic and non-toxic plants you can use for your home.

How do I know if a plant is pet friendly?

While plants and greenery add beauty to your home, certain ones can be toxic to cats and dogs. There is no set guide to determine whether a houseplant is pet friendly. Luckily a quick google search will give you all the information you need. Be sure to pay attention, though; not all toxic house plants have the same side effects. It is crucial to understand the signs so you are prepared if something were to happen.

Here’s a list of three non-toxic houseplants and three toxic houseplants that you should reference if you have pets.



Rattlesnake Plant (Calathea Lancifolia)

✅ Rattlesnake Plant
(Calathea Lancifolia)

Fun Fact: Calatheas are sometimes called prayer plants because their leaves move up and down during the day as light levels change.

Fiddle Leaf Fig (Ficus Lyrata)

❌ Fiddle Leaf Fig
(Ficus Lyrata)

Fiddle Leaf Fig sap can cause oral and throat irritation and abdominal pain if ingested.

Ponytail Palm (Beaucarnea Recurvata)

✅ Ponytail Palm
(Beaucarnea Recurvata)

Fun Fact: The Ponytail Palm is a succulent that is often mistakenly called a palm because of its single trunk with leaves at the top.


❌ Philodendron
(all types)

The Philodendron can cause oral and throat irritation and abdominal pain if ingested.

Spider Plant

✅ Spider Plant
(Chlorophytum Comosum)

Fun Fact: The Spider Plant gets its name from the small plantlets that grow at the end of its stems, resembling spiders.

Sago Palm (Cycas Revoluta)

❌ Sago Palm
(Cycas Revoluta)

The Sago Palm can cause liver and nervous system damage and abdominal pain if ingested. All parts of the plant (especially the seeds) are poisonous.

What do you do if your pet eats/chews a toxic houseplant?

Not all toxic plants cause the same reaction. Pet owners with houseplants should know the common symptoms of ingesting a toxic plant (for humans and pets). Some common warning signs include extreme thirst, pawing at the mouth, drooling, oral pain, decreased appetite, and vomiting. If you think your pet has come in contact with a toxic plant, you should contact your vet immediately.

Pro tip: Just because a plant is labeled non-toxic does not mean it won't cause an upset stomach when consumed. If your pet ingests any houseplant, it's best to inform your veterinarian as soon as possible so they can advise you on the next steps.

Back to blog

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.