Seasonal allergies are here, and we’ve got a few tips to share with you. If you're anything like us, you're probably thinking, “how can I help my pup avoid allergy symptoms?” It's important to understand why our pets get affected each year. Allergies as we know it, is our body’s way of reacting to a foreign substance. The same is true for our pets! Now, if you have more than one dog, it’s important to remember that every pet is uniquely different. How they're treated will vary depending on the size, breed, and specific needs.
Read on to learn about types of allergies, common symptoms, and ways to help your pet!
Types of Allergies in Dogs
Let’s take a look at a few types of allergies, how dogs get them, and the common symptoms associated with each type.
- First on the list is Skin Allergies. Known as canine atopic dermatitis, this allergen is one of the most common allergic reaction in dogs. It can be caused by fleabites, food sensitivities, or environmental allergens. Symptoms may include itching, irritated skin, hair loss, and more.
- Another type of allergy is Food Allergies. Food sensitivities happen when there’s an ingredient in your dog's food that is causing a reaction. Several of these symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, itchiness, ear infections, and more.
- Environmental Allergies in dogs could be anything in their existing environment, whether it's in the car, inside your house, or in the backyard. These allergens can be inhaled or physically contacted. Common symptoms include itchy skin, ear infections, face rubbing, sneezing, and eye discharge.
Seasonal Allergy Symptoms in Dogs
Similar to humans, dogs experience seasonal allergies and it’s no fun for them either. You may be thinking, “how can I tell if my dog has allergies?” Here are some signs to look out for:
- Irritated skin
- Dog Scooting
- Excessive scratching
- Puffy eyes or eye discharge
- Shedding more than usual
- Uncontrollable paw licking
- Red, inflamed, or smelly ears
How to Help My Pet’s Seasonal Allergies
No pet parent likes the feeling of helplessness, especially when your dog is experiencing seasonal allergies. Here are a couple of ways to help relieve their symptoms:
- Get a good immune booster for dogs containing colostrum and ester-c
- Help soothe your dog's itchiness by washing your dog with a moisturizing shampoo
- Give your dog a good probiotic to help strengthen their gut which in turn, will help their immune system
Regarding allergy relief medication, it's best to consult your vet. Treatment will vary depending on the type of allergy, size, and breed.
Help Prevent Seasonal Allergies
There are ways to help reduce the chances of your dog getting seasonal allergies. Here are a couple of things you can do in your home:
- Wash pet bedding and toys once a week
- Vacuum common areas frequently
- Keep doors and windows closed
- Buy an air filter
Another way to help prevent seasonal allergies is by focusing on your pet’s nutrition. The goal would be to strengthen your dog’s immune system. A great way to accomplish this is by giving them an immune supplement. Our Immune Boost Supplement, which contains Ester-C helps support and regulate normal immune function. What do you do if your dog's seasonal allergy symptoms start showing? Our Colostrum supplement, known as Immune Balance, is a great option. This supplement will help with allergy relief for dogs because it contains proline-rich polypeptide. This amino helps to soothe symptoms experienced during allergic reactions.
We all know the feeling of having a runny nose, itchy eyes, or throat irritation. Allergy symptoms are no fun, and your pups don't think so either. Preventing allergy symptoms will save you stress, vet visits, and a suffering pup. We know with our busy schedules keeping track of everything including our pet's health can be challenging. Our supplements are quick and easy to use for any busy pet parent. Your mind will be at peace knowing your pup is getting the nutrients they need in a time-effective way. Comment below and tell us what helps your dogs get through allergy season. Be sure to shop our product line of organic supplements to help your pet meet optimal health!